Monday, March 26, 2018

L.A Marathon : Race day in pictures

Last Sunday I ran the L.A Marathon, my first race of the year!

On race morning I kept debating what to where, capris or a skirt? Arm sleeves or gloves? I decided on capris and my tank top with arm sleeves plus gloves. Overdressed? Well my hands are always cold and my friend said I could throw my arms sleeves to him when I see him. 

 I didn’t really prepare well for this race. I had forgot to get something for breakfast for race morning but I knew there was a Starbucks in our hotel and it would be open early for runners.  I get down there and there were two plain bagels left and a flavored scone. Really? You would think they would have stocked up before this. I don't like plain bagels and I wasn’t sure how the scones would settle. I decided to forgo both. Luckily my friend had brought some cliff bars and bananas for me for the weekend. I never had a cliff bar before a race but didn’t really have any other choice so I guess that’d have to do. I ate the bar and a banana and soon it was time to head around the corner to get the shuttle to take me to the start of the race.  

We arrived at Dodger’s Stadium where the race was starting. After making a porta stop I made my way to my corral with plenty of time to spare. The third baseman from the Dodgers said a little something and then the National Anthem played and soon we were off. I knew there were going to be plenty of hills the first half of the course but then it flattens out and ends with some down hills towards the beach. Again I had no expectations on this race and I was going to run just for "fun” right?  I also heard that this was a very fast course and a negative split is possible.  

When I first started I knew I was going way too fast (like I do in most races) but so was everyone else. I was trying to just run my own race. My watch kept buzzing telling me I was going too fast, but soon I got into a good rhythm and found a comfortable pace. I knew where my friend was going to be  so I started to look for him. It was around mile 4.5. I did see him for a quick wave and then I continued on. There was no way of throwing my arms sleeves to him at this point. I wasn’t too warm yet so I was fine with that. He told me later that he was not expecting me to come so soon so unfortunately he couldn’t get a picture of me. He said you were really moving and looked strong!

They weren’t lying about the hills on this course. I was happy to have incorporated some steep hills in my runs during this training cycle. As much as those hills sucked, I think the challenging part was running downhill. This is where my quads started to scream. I just told them to shut up and keep going, and that is what I did. This is a pretty scenic race, well so I hear. I was so focused and in a zone I didn’t see much of my surroundings. 

Although, it was fun to run down Rodeo Drive and see all the fancy stores I know I would never buy anything in!  We also had a great view of the Hollywood sign at one part of the race.   

Being a fast course, I was afraid I was going to lose some steam the second half of the race since the first half flew by for me.  I was still going strong and knew the majority of the hills were behind me so I was hoping to continue with this pace. The sun was coming out and I was getting a little warm. By this time I had rolled down my arm sleeves and I thought about tossing my gloves but I remembered doing this in Outer Banks and I regretted it afterwards.  

 There was a mile marker at each mile with the clock time underneath it. I knew I wasn’t very far from the actual time so knew I was keeping a good pace if I could just hold on to it. I think the last 10k is always the most challenging of any marathon and that’s when my watch started buzzing that I was too slow. I was doing everything I could to just continue to push through and have my watch stop buzzing. It finally did. 

The last 4 miles I thought were the worst. I knew what I ran the first 4 miles in and I did not think I was going to be able to do that pace again. Luckily the hills were behind me now and it was a flat road to the finish. The mile 26 sign could not come soon enough! 

After passing that sign I saw the finish shoot ahead. It looked closer than it really was but I kicked it into high gear and actually passed a few people during this stretch. It wasn’t until I crossed the finish line that I knew I beat my time from Outer Banks!  I finished with a PR (only of 23 seconds).

I met my friend at the finish line and we promptly made our way to the VIP section so I could sit down! I don’t think I ever pushed myself so much in a race, but it did pay off.  

They had quite the breakfast spread in the VIP area with Mimosas and a Bloody Mary bar.  

I found a spot by the fire and enjoyed a Bloody Mary while trying to rehydrate as well. I thought I should eat something but wasn’t really hungry. 

By the time I decided get some food they had removed breakfast and put the lunch spread out instead. Now there were different sandwiches and salads and some yummy macaroons. 

                                                      I even got to meet Meb

Afterwards we headed to my friend’s sister’s house for the remaining of the day. 

She had DVR-ed the race so I watched it while recovering in my compression socks and enjoying a glass of wine. 

She was super sweet and made a cheese platter appetizer before dinner. 

                 While we waited for dinner we headed to the beach for a while.  

She had made homemade cherry pie for dessert and it was delicious. A perfect post race treat! 

Soon after it was time to head to the airport for a red eye back to the East coast. 

Overall it was a great weekend! I was going into it with no expectations so it was a good feeling to finish the way I did.  I didn’t even think that was possible after crushing it in Outer Banks!  -L

Ever run a race just for fun but end up finishing with an unexpected PR instead? 

We will be linking up with the gals from TOTR.

No comments:

Post a Comment

L.A Marathon : Race day in pictures

Last Sunday I ran the L.A Marathon, my first race of the year! On race morning I kept debating what to where, capris or  a  skirt? Arm sleev...